written by Jooyoung Yang, Hyungjeong Gu, Dayeon Lee, Serim Kim
Korean Medicine defines causes of acne as seven factors
1. Heated Lung Type: A red papulosa acne and a little pustular acne appear together. A little papule can be a pyopoiesis in short time. In this type, people have much heat on their upper body, so they often wants cold water and their mouth and nose are dry. Their tongue is deep red and evacuation is irregular.
2. Weak Stomach Type: Thick acne appears and suddenly disappears. Acne usually appears around the mouth. Acne appearance is on-and-off, so possibility to be a pyopoiesis is low. In this type, people have a white face and they are sensitive to the cold. If they feel stressed, it takes long to overcome.
3. Humid Heated Stomach Type: This type shows anoily skin, so a papulosa acne and pustular acne usually appear around the cheek. These acnes appear because of the weak digestion, so when people have constipation and indigestion, it may make acne worse.
4. Extravasated Blood Type: Symptoms can be worse before and after the menstruation. Sometimes menstrual blood is dark and forms a mass. Menstrual cycle is irregular and hands and foots are swollen. People always feel heavy and acne mostly appears around the mouth and nose.
5. Heated Poisonous Colon Type: People having this type of acne have constipation almost throughout the year. If constipation issevere, they have to depend on drugs to evacuate. Poisonous gases in the intestine increase toxicity and mess blood. It makes skin trouble.
6. Penetrating Vessel Meridian and Conception Vessel Meridian Lost Type: This type usually is present in women. Inflammation clearly appears around the cheek and lasts long. Skin color is dark and pigmentation may occur. Legs and arms feel feeble and sometimes accompany irregular menstruation is accompanied.
7. Allergy: Particular ingredients in the cosmetics, perfumes, sprays can cause acne.
Acnes classified according to facial areas
This picture is from Treasured Mirror of Eastern Medicine(東醫寶鑑, Dong-eui-bo-gam - medical bible in Korean medicine and also listed as World Heritage by the UNESCO). This picture has the names of facial areas written by the terms of Korean medicine. Also, the picture shows the relationship between the internal organs and the facial areas by writing the names of the internal organs on the facial spots.
Number 1 area in the picture below is forehead of our face. Forehead corresponds with heart. If the heat-poison reaches heart, acne would be shown. Heat made by heart, and lung is key reason of the acne. Accordingly, patients with much acne on forehead would be under much stress or sensitive to stress.
Since nose is located on the middle of the face (number 3 section on the picture below), many internal organs are connected with nose. Especially, liver, lung, stomach have relationships with nose.
In the case of cheek, each side of cheek has each own relative internal organs. Acnes on the left cheek (number 2 section in the picture) are originated from problems in liver. Also, troubles in lung can be the reason of the acnes on the right cheek (number 4 section in the picture) left cheek. Due to the close relationship between liver and lung, acnes come out on the left and right cheeks at a time. Also, the cheek is the final spot of The Large Intestine Channel - meridian system that covers the large intestine related disease. Therefore, the acnes on the cheeks have relationship with the troubles in the large intestine.
Acnes areas around month (number 5 section on the picture below) are originated from the leukorrhea around menstruation period, since the number 5 section is assigned to uterus and ovary. Sometimes, the acnes are originated from the troubles of stomach.
Acnes on chin (number 6 section) come out because of the degeneration of intestine's function. Anemia and deficiency of calcium can be the reasons of the acnes on chin. Sometimes the acne on this area is from menstruation period disease which is covered by Korean Medicine as "feeling of cold - feeling cold in the certain organs such as hands and feet.
- Complete Korean medicine treatment of acne by curing reason, Mi-green Doctors, Moogo,Seoul - Cure acne by Korean medicien - Haneulto Korean medical doctors, 2009 magic house, Seoul
How do you treat acnes in Korean Medicine?
Acne treatment in Korean Medicine is not only about the skin itself. It focuses on the abnormal heat inside the body and the imbalance between its organs which are the fundamental causes of acnes. By prescribing Korean herbal medicines according to a person's physical constitution, Korean medicine treatment calms down the heat inside the body, especially in the stomach, and balances the incretion of the body. This eliminates toxins from the skin and induces acnes to be cured naturally. After that, acnes and their scars on the skin are cured by Korean medicine's own acupuncture therapy called MTS. When acupuncture stimulates collagen ingredients on the cutis that were arranged irregularly, they are induced to be rearranged. Then, we have to make small scratches on the skin by stimulating cutis. These scratches go through the process of the natural rebirth of the skin cells and become a clear skin without acnes and scars.
With this Korean medicine treatment, many people concerned about acnes are experiencing surprising effects. Unlike the western medicine only treating the skin itself, Korean medicine solves the fundamental causes, so the rate of recurrence is very low. However, during the time you are taking medicines for internal treatment, you can still have acnes due to the acne germs in the deep part of the skin that are not eliminated yet. Some people are disappointed with this, and stop taking Korean medicines. However, it takes about 2-3 months, on average, to thoroughly eliminate acne germs and treat internal body.
So, be patient and get constant treatment! Then, you will be free from those annoying acnes!!